Accounting Assistant 1
Job Classification Title ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT 1
Requisition # 2275891 X
Division Real Estate Services
Section Leasing & Site Management
Work Location METRO HALL, 55 JOHN ST
Job Location Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Job Stream Accounting/Finance
Job Type Permanent, Full-Time
Salary/Rate $37.60 - $41.18 / Hour
Hours of Work (bi-weekly) 70.00
Shift Information Monday - Friday, 35 Hours Per Week
Affiliation L79 Full-time
Number of Positions Open 1
Posting Date 28-Jun-2017
Expiry date 28-Jul-2017
To perform accounting duties pertaining to property leases, tax reconciliations, rental payments of leases, rent roll reconciliations, accounts receivable for various property tenants, payables, purchasing, internal control and in researching, analyzing and reconciling to general ledger, ensuring compliance with established corporate policies, procedures and practices and being responsible for organizing and developing an accounting system for Union Station.
- Perform accounting duties such as reviewing, researching, analyzing and reconciling ledger accounts, setting up and maintaining expenditures and revenue working papers, spreadsheets and reconciliation to general Ledger for commercial and residential properties.
- Prepare yearly CAM costs for properties, responsible for preparing and overseeing monthly rent roll reconciliations and collection of monthly rental payments for tenants.
- Prepare and maintain accounts receivable functions including bank deposits and reconciliation, preparing, reviewing, posting and reconciling journals entries including accrual entries and adjusting entries.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of period close on a quarterly and on a yearly basis.
- Prepare tenant recovery reconciliations, annual statement of recoverable operating costs and realty taxes.
- Research and analyze financial and property information and oversee lease administration.
- Oversee collection of rents, posting of charges and application of payments to tenant accounts and analyze tenant accounts as needed.
- Oversee monthly outstanding rents received from tenants and advises Property Manager of corrective action that need to be taken.
- Prepare financial statements and expenditure reports, i.e. capital expenditure reports, variance reports, Council initiated special projects expenditure reports, and reserve fund schedules and submit as requested to senior management.
- Review financial system reports, i.e., variance, cost center, miscellaneous accounts. Make comments or corrections as necessary.
- Prepare requested reports and schedules as needed by senior management.
- Prepare the monthly departmental financial statements and other financial information for divisions, Provincial and Federal Governments.
- Prepare other ad hoc financial and statistical reports to the Provincial and Federal Government.
- Co-ordinate with the City, Provincial and Federal Auditors and prepares working papers for year-end closing.
- Coordinate and be responsible for external lease audits, including audit queries.
- Provide assistance on accounting & financial related matters to the Divisions.
- Provide financial analysis, claims and other information to the Divisions as requested.
- Create ad hoc financial system reports for analysis purposes.
- Assist with preparation and review of annual property operating budgets.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Currently designated or enrolled in an accounting program (CMA, CGA, CA) and/or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable commercial and residential real estate accounting experience.
- Considerable experience using Microsoft Office (Excel) and financial information systems (SAP, RFMS, etc.).
You must also have:
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge in using Property Accounting Software, Microsoft Office Applications and ERP systems.
- Advanced knowledge of current accounting procedures and techniques pertaining to the function.
- Ability to prepare detailed correspondence, memoranda, summaries, financial statements, and documentation requiring the interpretation and application of a wide range of administrative accounting practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff, divisional operating management.
- Advanced knowledge of financial accounting and internal control.
- Ability to perform complex detailed computation and calculations.
- Ability to work under time constraints and to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage work independently with minimal supervision and co-operatively as a member of a team.
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as an Accounting Assistant 1 within our Real Estate Services Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2275891 X, by July 28, 2017.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.