This full-time, 24-month position (with the possibility of extension) is an exciting opportunity for a real estate professional with extensive strategic planning and portfolio management experience to demonstrate their business acumen with the City of Hamilton.
Reporting to the Manager, Real Estate, you will be responsible for the delivery and administration of real estate services, with a particular focus on portfolio management, planning and strategy. Your mandate will include providing research, advice, and strategic planning, as well as guiding the work of others (internal and external) with respect to City property, assets and interests (fee simple, easement, encroachment, strata, lease, etc.) and activities (appraisals, acquisitions via purchase or expropriation, dispositions, leases or licenses, relocations, property management, portfolio management, asset management, environmental audits, site improvements, and dispositions).
The following profile makes you uniquely qualified for the role of Business Development Consultant, Real Estate:
- You have proven superior knowledge in real estate and development, portfolio management, strategic planning, and valuation principles and practices normally acquired through the completion of a university degree and training in Urban Planning, Economics, Business, or Finance, or other related discipline, or a combination of related education and a minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience.
- You bring progressive diversified experience in planning for the orderly use and/or disposition of real estate interests, including strategic and capital planning, portfolio management, real estate development, property valuation, and real estate transactions negotiation, involving a broad range of commercial, residential, industrial, institutional and mixed-use properties, as well as experience in dealing with the public.
- You possess working knowledge of the Ontario Municipal Act, Ontario Planning Act, land use, zoning, community impact, environmental controls, building codes and other relevant property management/real estate related legislation such as the Expropriations Act and the Commercial Tenancies Act.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a demonstrated ability to deal effectively and collaboratively with elected officials, business and community stakeholders, peers, all levels of management, the media, and the general public.
- You demonstrate excellent organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills to manage, supervise and balance a number of projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines.
- Your background includes extensive project management experience leading multi-disciplinary teams, preferably in the area of real estate and portfolio planning, and demonstrated interpersonal and negotiating skills enabling the effective resolution of issues, as well as experience in the development and implementation of a variety of effective stakeholder consultation and engagement strategies.
- You have developed a high level of skill in research and problem-solving, and experience in the field of public administration is considered an asset.
- You possess a valid Province of Ontario Class "G" Driver's Licence and have access to a vehicle for use on the job.
Hamilton. A city of progress.
At the City of Hamilton, our vision is “to be the best place in Canada to raise a child and age successfully.” With our rich history, culturally strong and diverse communities, blend of urban and rural attractions, and ideal location in the heart of the Golden Horseshoe, Hamilton is a vibrant community of neighbours. We are also a leading employer, with many opportunities to grow and excel. We invite you to share in our vision as part of the Economic Development Division inthe Planning & Economic Development Department.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on this Business Development Consultant – Real Estate position, JOB ID #12841, and to apply online, by Wednesday, August 16, 2017.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.