Primary Location : ON-Toronto
Sector : Insurance
Language Designation : English Essential
Position Level / Salary Range : 9 ($73,840 to $92,300)
Position Status : Temporary full-time
Security Requirement : Reliability Status
CMHC: Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada’s authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations.
Bring your analytical and technical skills to this Senior Appraiser role within the Professional Services and Real Estate in Toronto, Ontario
This 12-month temporary position is an exceptional opportunity for a result-oriented, strategic thinker to expand his or her career within Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), an organization where you are valued and respected, recognized for your contribution and that is committed to providing a work environment where you are inspired to make a difference.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Providing substantive consultation advice on appraisal assignments throughout the region, and keeps abreast of general market intelligence affecting valuations.
- Reviewing, assessing and providing comments and property value assessments for CMHC business lines and their clients.
- Soliciting and analyzing client feedback to ensure that the appraisal products are meeting their needs. Assisting in developing solutions to client appraisal needs and issues.
- Investigating, identifying and implementing innovations to promote the ongoing improvement of appraisal products and services.
- Assisting in the delivery, planning, and measurement for the Professional Services function in the region. Participating in goal setting, planning, budget, resource allocation and processes related to appraisal services.
- Participating in rent analysis work on an entire project for a First Nation community or the preparation of benchmark rents and in some cases, heat and utility allowances, that apply to several First Nation communities. Preparing income thresholds and limits and maximum unit prices where CMHC continues to administer subsidized housing/portfolios and to provinces that have Social Housing Agreements in place.
- Conducting property specific analyses and making recommendations concerning major real estate projects of a more complex nature (often issue specific) in order to guide partners along their decision making process, with the particular and special assignments and recommendations being related to any of several areas, including homeowner underwriting, multiple underwriting, retirement home and long term care facility underwriting, the development of recommendations for the preparation of workout plans related to portfolio management for affordable housing, and the marketing and sale of various real estate projects for default management and real estate. This including but not limited to providing full appraisal reports to internal clients. Providing scheduled market updates related to operating income, occupancy, expenses, supplies, demands, absorptions, investment returns, legislated funding changes for retirement facilities and long term care homes.
What We Are Looking For
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Management or a related field and 6 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibilities in Business Administration, Finance or Economics (including 1 to 2 years of supervision/management experience) or an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute (AACI) or Évaluateur agréé (EA) designation (in good standing) or equivalent MAI, FRICS.
One or more of the following would be an asset; Certified in Real Estate Finance (CRF) or Certified Property Manager (CPM) accreditation, or accreditation in other fields related to finance, appraisal and underwriting.
- Expert knowledge of appraisal theory and its practical application to valuation issues throughout the region.
- Knowledge of mortgage insurance operations and processes: underwriting claims processing and real estate, market housing programs and the National Housing Act and regulations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of finance, investment analysis, the mortgage industry and mortgage insurance industry.
- Proficiency in the use of corporate computer systems - in particular, spreadsheet and data management applications; and, software used in the Appraisal profession.
- Good planning, prioritizing and organizational skills.
- Strong research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to build and maintain client relationships, recognize opportunities for improvement and contribute to a working environment where diversity is valued, respected and integrated.
- Excellent ability to present information in writing e.g. ability to write various business documents (i.e. appraisal reports, business cases, etc.) clearly and succinctly and in a format conducive to the understanding of the intended audience.
- Ability to achieve results and to work in a high stress, multidisciplinary team environment where expectations and availability requirements are high.
- Ability to multi-task, manage multiple concurrent projects through team leadership, development and assignment of priorities.
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills and the ability to implement and manage change.
- Ability to deal effectively with staff and clients at all levels, including senior executives.
- Knowledge of CMHC's business, mandate and objectives.
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Analytical Thinking/ Communication/ Decisiveness/ Efficiency /Flexibility /Teamwork
What CMHC Has To Offer
Competitive Total Compensation package
Competitive Annual Salary
Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
New Hire Mentorship Program
Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on October 4, 2017, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance